Re: sodium metaborate

From: Louis de Stoutz (loudest@attglobal.net)
Date: 08/26/03-04:58:01 AM Z

Thanks Richard and also Cor,

Richard Knoppow wrote:

> There was a very long thread in the Pure-Silver mailing list fairly recently
> about what exactly Kodalk is. I don't remember all the details but it seems
> that the hydration is somewhat uncertain. I can't find the archive for
> Pure-Silver but will post it later (when I am at home). Included in the
> discussion is how to make Metaborate from borax and sodium hydroxide.

I found a similar thread through Google in the "Photo Binbook", but they
fail to connect it to Hutchings' recipe.

Gordon seems to indicate in his book that the exact proportions are
quite important since he got varying results by experimenting with
different alkali-concentrations.

The best thing to do might be to ask Hutchings himself, I think I saw
his e-mail address somewhere.

Regards,
Louis