RE: Dichromate dilution and speed

From: Keith Gerling ^lt;keith@gumphoto.com>
Date: 12/01/03-12:22:38 PM Z

Given the recent exchange, I thought I might as well offer my comments.
Typically, I use a saturated solution of Potassium Dichromate for my gum
work. But after reading Chris's account about using weaker solutions, I
performed a series of (albeit un-scientific) tests. Working with a negative
that normally requires 600 units under a Violux plate burner, I tried it at
700 units with an emulsion using half the amount of Pot Di, making up the
difference with tap water. After 30 seconds in the water, the emulsion had
totally dissolved. All of it. Increasing the exposure to 1000 units
produced a abominable result: very posterized with no emulsion on most of
the print all of the emulsion remaining in the shadow areas. I was very
disappointed.