RE: Cyanotypes on glass

From: Loris Medici ^lt;lorism@tnn.net>
Date: 12/03/03-05:18:19 AM Z

Galina Manikova does this kind of work (kallitype on glass) but AFAIK,
she uses the coated glass as the "paper" - finished print, not as the
"film". I remember reading somewhere (could be in her site or in "The
Book of Alternative Processes" or both) that she coats the glass 3 times
with gelatine (hardener added) and then the emulsion... Dear Galina, if
you read us, can you please describe how do your coat the emulsion to
glass (or other) surface? (list subscribers, please forgive me for
asking that without searching the achive)

Cyanotype emulsion is very slow and only sensitive to blue - UV portion
of the spectrum - this mean exposure times will be very long (or
impossible) unless your subject is under bright daylight. Plus, the
transmission density will be very low (much lower than it is on paper -
which I believe is no more than 1.25 log reflective density, note that
light will pass thru emulsion only one time, not two times as in a
print). I doubt you will be able to use your cyanotype negatives on
glass for contact printing to any emulsion. (?? Please correct me if I'm
wrong)

Regards,
Loris.