Re: Big neg (was: Cyanotypes on glass)

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 12/07/03-10:24:01 AM Z

I've read "somewhere" (so double check my "facts") that the new
Photoshop CS has a MUCH larger maximum file size, Your 60x200 cm (24 x
79 inch) at 240dpi is about a 330 meg file at 300dpi it is about a 512
meg file. A G4 with lots of RAM should be able to (slowly) handle that
if your turn your history down to a small number and only run
Photoshop. I can't help with info on the 7600.

While we are talking about big negs, let me point out that there are at
least three sources of continuous tone panchromatic ultra large film in
the 100 to 400 ISO range. Yes, it is far more expensive than lith. Yes,
it is far faster than lith and sees all colors:

Photo Warehouse (USA): http://www.photowarehouse.biz/

The View Camera Store (USA) : http://www.viewcamerastore.com/

Lotus View Camera (Austria): http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/

On Sunday, December 7, 2003, at 07:37 AM, Galina wrote:

> BIG SNIP>
> Could anyone tell me what would be the reasonable way to go if I want
> to print negatives about 60 x 200 cm from a Photoshop file? How big
> should the file be for printing on Epson 7600? Are there any clever
> tricks? I plan to scan on a dram scanner at a service company, but
> will I be able to handle such big files on my poor Mac G4 ? Has anyone
> been printing on Epson 7600 in those sizes? Jack Fulton gave me some
> valuable advise earlier, maybe he can help again?

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com