Re: Dreaded fungus

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 12/21/03-03:19:58 AM Z

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@silvergrain.org>
Sent: Dec 21, 2003 12:57 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: Re: Dreaded fungus

From: jfulton <jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:18:00 -0800

> Kodak (and perhaps others) would, once upon a time, use a lacquer to 'seal'
> the color negative. I would not advise doing that by yourself today.

I'm no expert in this area, but some dyes in modern color material is
more stable in presence of oxygen and their life shortens if air is
sealed out. I think b&w material is pretty safe to store in vacuum.
FoodSaver type vacuum device is convenient, but you need to learn a
little trick to use non-channel type bags such as foiled mylar bags.

By the way, 5x7 prints sealed in foiled mylar bags sent by mail make
great greeting cards. I've tried to send 4x6 postcard stock made by
Ilford, but this is a very bad idea because about 30% of the time the
postcard does not reach the addressee!!!

Trying to dry gelatin excessively is a risky thing because then the
gelatin becomes too brittle. Below 30% RH fungal growth is greatly
slowed, so you don't need to go too radical.

> Wise storage in a dry environment with perhaps a bit of silica gel
> desiccant might provide that measure of safety you inquire after.
> The desiccant can be checked now and then to see if it has turned dark
> from accumulated moisture at which point you'd remove it, heat in the oven
> and put back.

I agree with this suggestion.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)