Re: Gelatin (waterproofing)]

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 12/22/03-09:06:33 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Murphy" <pmurf@bellsouth.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 5:11 PM
Subject: [Fwd: Gelatin (waterproofing)]

> > Thanks Richard, that is much like what I'm looking for.
> > My first thought was to try some of the waterproofing
> > solutions that can be obtained from outdoor stores.
> > A spray "lacquer" may be a better avenue for
investigation.

> > I also wonder if a cyanoacrylate solution will penetrate
> > gelatin layer and make it impervious to water.
> >
> > I'm not attempting to archivally protect a display
print,
> > so it won't matter what the long term effect will be.
> >
> > all the best,
> >
> > Phillip
> >
> > Richard Knoppow wrote:

  The Krylon spray is sold for protecting photographs. You
can get sprays that have an ultra-violet absorber in them. I
also have some spray on matt finish made by John Marshall,
the makers of the oil coloring kits. I don't know if this is
water proof.
  Obviously spraying a paper print on both sides will seal
it from moisture. If the idea is to protect a display print
from spills etc., the Krylon should do it. There are also
materials for laminating prints in plastic. I think Seal may
still make the materials. The choice depends on the
application. As Ryuji points out there must be a certain
level of moisture in the gelatin.
  Seal products are now made by Light Impressions
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com
  I haven't looked for laminating material there.

 ---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com