Re: self masking and POP

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/02/03-04:07:35 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>> With most forms of kallitype, as well as platinum and palladium,
>> exposure forms only a whisper of an image, much too faint to cause
>> much self-masking. The same would appear to be true of cyanotype.
>
>Sandy that is absolutely not true. I knew it wasn't true & you have cost
>me 20 minutes of my remaining time on earth to again prove that it wasn't
>true. That is, a cyanotype exposed but not developed showed density in
>the darkest shadows equal to number 9 out of a possible 19 on the Kodak
>Gray scale. I consider that substantial, not "too faint to cause much self
>masking."

What is it that you find absolutely not true? The bottom line is that
the printed out image with cyanotype does not appear strong enough to
cause any significant degree of self-masking. So what if you get some
density on step 9 but it turns out that it is not strong enough to
cause any significant degree self-masking? Or maybe you disagree and
believe that there is a lot of self-masking with cyanotype?

>I personally don't give a fig about self masking, or why it matters,
>since each medium combo has to be tried separately... but what I do give a
>fig about is "Truth in non-silver," something I've noticed the books play
>fast & loose with & then copy more nonsense from each other.

Well, you may not give a fig about self masking but that is the topic
of this thread and it is the issue I am interested in and that I
tried to address. The printed out image of cyanotype is either strong
enough to cause self-masking, and it does, or it is not strong enough
to cause self-masking, and it does not. What else matters?

>However, I doubt there's much self masking in cyano because that full blue
>takes a while to print out, and my test was for the whole exposure time of
>10 minutes. I'm not disputing the conclusion (if it matters), I'm simply
>pointing out that false assumptions are .... false but if repeated and
>repeated become "fact."

Well, yes, I think the conclusion matters because self-masking can
significantly impact the tonal range of prints and POP processes in
which there is a lot of self-masking going on often have a very
different look in comparison to DOP processes where there is little
or no self-masking.

Sandy