Re: self masking and POP

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 02/03/03-06:32:35 AM Z

Sandy King wrote:

 Adding a piece of light blue gel between the
> exposing light and the print is going to cut some exposure.

Just to agree with Sandy here that anything between the light and the
emulsion is going to change the amount of light reaching the emulsion,
regardless of color: I have made some interesting borders for gum
prints, printed at the same time as the image is printed, by utilizing
the differential way that different materials block the UV. There is a
deep green-blue color that I mix, that prints different shades and
intensities of green or blue depending on whether the border has nothing
between it and the light, glass only, or glass and negative, and the
effect of course is different with different negative material.
Pictorico, I find, is the most blocking of UV light of all the materials
I use, FP4 the least, and paper in between.
Katharine Thayer