Re: oil printing & hard gelatin

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/05/03-01:39:31 AM Z

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Robert Newcomb wrote:
> ..While gum is also made with pigment and can vary from a soft look to
> one of high sharpness, it is a different look then oil and bromoil - perhaps
> a more "photographic" look.
> For what it's worth...
> Robert N.

You raise an extremely interesting point... Of course gum if it's done
with a lot of brushing or handwork as the Pictorialists often did will
have that "touched" look you describe, but it probably is easier to do
with a totally uninflected look than the oil processes. OTOH, I think
there are mechanical hoppers or the like that can give that uninflected
look to oil... (tho they probably need more skill in handling or so I 'd
guess, never having done them.)

J.