Re: grayscale conversion to RGB

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 02/09/03-11:10:09 PM Z

What Dan said, plus—

Often I find an rgb file from my camera to be different from my rgb files
from my scanner when converting to black and white. They are kinda different
beasts. I often pick either the green channel or red channel from the channel
mixer for scanned color film, while with the digital camera, I use a mix of
the green and red channels.

In both cases I am starting with a 16 bit file, so there is plenty of room
for messing around with the file and maintaining data integrety. In fact,
almost all my black and white files now are kept in 16 bit up to and
including printing. This includes both digital camera images and scanned
images—color or black and white film.

It is also interesting how digital camera files can be manipulated in the
channel mixer for all sorts of effects, including infrared.

Mark Nelson