Re: More digital negatives

From: John Campbell (tojohn@texas.net)
Date: 02/11/03-08:08:54 PM Z

Hey, Nick--

Good to see your input, given all the consternation we exchanged, moons ago,
on this topic.

I've come to believe, rightly or wrongly, that you *can* produce both prints
and negs on the same printer--but *not* (here's the rub) with the same ink
set. You may recall that I was trying to produce both with the Cone
product, wanting negative tonal transitions similar to what I was getting
with positive prints (you were working with MIS, as I recall. . . ?). The
limiting (fatal, actually) factor was your referenced problem 1-- the
pigments won't hold on transparency media. There is nothing for the pigment
solution to sink in to, as there is on paper positives. It is literally an
Oil and Water problem.

If you do ever find the magic combination, I'll go in halvsies on the
lifetime supply.

This entire discourse raises a new awareness for me--something having to do
with increasing complexity and decreasing satisfaction in advancing
technology. To wit:

When I first began *playing* with these concepts, I was shooting out of an
old Canon A-1, taking the film to my local lab, hoping no one really looked
at the developed images. I then took the prints back home and scanned them
with some archaic flatbed (max resolution probably around 200 ppi. . . I
dunno) and
edited them to my heart's delight with some free photo editing software that
I found on the web (the name of which I do not recall). I then inverted the
best images and printed them out as negatives with a Canon 600 printer (I
was very loyal, you see) on overhead transparency film thrown out by my
department at the university. I sandwiched the negatives on POP paper (or
some pre-fab cyanotype) between two sheets of glass and exposed using
diffused sunlight. Then I washed, toned, waxed, etc, etc., etc.

Those were some exquisite prints.

My best to all,
John

www.photogecko.com