RE: Pt IV to Pt II

From: Monnoyer Philippe (monnoyer@imec.be)
Date: 02/12/03-08:20:18 AM Z

Dear Alberto,

A while ago, I started to work with hydrazine on a research project for a big company. Hydrazine was commonly used in university labs. As soon as that company knew I used hydrazine, they asked me to stop using it and find an alternative.
As you are a chemist, you probably have your redox potentials table close to your desk. You'll find so many possible reducing agents that are absolutely not toxic, even food additives ...
Of course hydrazine will work, but why not an unharmful chemical instead ?
A few grams a a few kilos do represent the same risk for a good worker I would say.

Just wanted to help,
Good luck with your synthesis,

Philippe

PS: did you check the synthesis method of K2PtCl4 in Gmelin handbooks of inorganic chem. ?|