Re: printing with mold or fungus?

From: Keith Schreiber (jkschreiber@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/13/03-01:18:01 PM Z

Hi Chris,

Your question triggered something in my sketchy memory which may be related
to what you are talking about. In the July 2002 issue of Harper's magazine
on page 24 is reproduced an image by Edgar Lissel that was made by
projecting a photographic negative onto a petri dish of light-sinsitive
bacteria. During an exposure a several days the bacteria realigned
themselves proportionally to the light. There is no mention of how the image
was "fixed" or whether the actual petri dish of bacteria was even the final
print. My guess is that the dish was then rephotographed with more
conventional materials.

A Google search for Edgar Lissel turned up around 100 references mostly in
German. Here is one in English:
http://www.artnet.com/ag/fineartthumbnails.asp?gid=636&cid=10843

Regards,
Keith