RE: Scanner woes

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 02/17/03-10:04:54 PM Z

Michael,

I'm no expert, but I believe most scanners can recognise, and Photoshop
images accommodate, a much greater range than (likely!) exists in your
negative; the highest density in a good neg of *average* subject is around
1.55 for straight silver, around 1.8 for many of the alt processes. Your
scanner probably thinks of 3.0 or more as being "true black".

In the Levels dialogue, drag the two end sliders in to eliminate the empty
areas of the histogram. Photoshop then takes whatever tones it finds
between the two end sliders, and expands them so as to make use of the
Photoshop's full 255 grey tones. The middle slider lets you alter contrast
in the middle tones.

Why you got different results with trannies, I don't know. Maybe someone
else does?

Liam