RE: DUMB QUESTIONS #107 & 108

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/19/03-12:05:32 PM Z

Sandy,

No color change.

All of the weak organic acid salts can be used with varying effects for pt
and pd development. In fact many show little differentiation from each other.

Some weak organic acids and their origins:

malic (malate)-- tart apples
citric (citrate) -- lemons etc
tartaric -- wine sour taste
oxalic -- bitter greens
tannic -- peat bogs
acetic -- vinegar
gallic -- oak bark and galls -- closely related to tannic
ascorbic -- Wholefoods market
formic -- ants, bee stings

I found an ad c. 1900 for citric acid in an old journal and it was listed
at better than $2.00 per lb! A lot of money in those days when oxalic was
about a nickel a pound. The main source for citric acid was citrus fruit,
thus the high cost. Today it is made from sawdust in some mysterious method
that Phillipe probably can explain. For this reason it was not used as a
developer.

The potassium or sodium salts of these can be used as developers. The
formates are violent developers and from my experience they develop all to
completion and all you get is a sheet of black paper. They may prove
interesting in very dilute amounts however.

To make, simply dilute the acid and add either sodium, potassium, or
ammonium carbonate, bicarbonate, or more dangerously the hydroxide and
being to the neutral point. pH 7.0 Carbonates give some fizz, bicarbs lots
of fizz, hydroxide no fizz but lots of heat. I used to make ammonium
citrate in 50 gal tanks by adding ammonia (a hydroxide) to a solution of
citric acid. if the ammonia was added to fast it could build up enough
internal heat to cause a violent eruption of hot liquid throwing liquid 10
feet in the air. A great big whooosh! Doubtful this could happen in small
quantities but best not to fool with the hydroxides and go with the "ates."
A face full of Draino might not be pleasant and could blind you. Safety
glasses are needed as well as good ventilation if you are using ammonia.

--Dick