Re: Aqua Regia & safety

From: Philippe Monnoyer (philippe.monnoyer@skynet.be)
Date: 02/20/03-01:28:12 PM Z

Re: Aqua Regia & safeyMy small contribution:

My feeling is that Gordon's assumption would free us to feel "obligated" to put disclaimers everywhere. This is heavy. In the meantime, refering once for all on a unique common source/reference page would be constructive. When somebody would post a recipe that he/she thinks deserve warning, he/she would point to that page. That page would give directions and indications, the best we could make it, without being an ultimate reference neither.
A comparison: anybody could go in the library of the nearest university, in the chemistry bookshelf, and find tons of info without disclaimers nor warnings. The list is or should be like a bookshelf with organized warnings.
That would maybe clear the list by removing never-ending sterile argueing.
Frankly speaking aqua regia is not a big issue. Its danger is more immediate than dichromate, but I'd rather avoid that later one. In two words, wear glasses, work under chem. hood, do not store it, etc etc... this should be on common page. Once you know the risks, you make your own decision and up to you. Without that freedom where would science stand nowadays ... and especially photographic science. Well I really hope I didn't start a BORING philosophical discussion saying that ;-)

Just my point of view now, feel free to destroy it

Philippe

PS: the more rules the less creation ? ....oops