Re: Missing email messages

From: Eric Maquiling (eric@maquiling.org)
Date: 02/21/03-10:35:48 AM Z

On 02/21 08:26, Nick Makris wrote:

> has been discussed on this list at least once or twice, this is also the
> very reason why messages come in out of order.

I'm an email server administrator and the above statement, from MCN is
confusing. It really depends on where people are and where they are
sending email from.

> When the mail server is processing a normal amount of mail, it does so in
> real time, so as a message is received it is forwarded to the proper bucket.

This is true but what it normal? Yahoo processes thousands and
thousands of email per minute.

> When loads get higher than normal, the messages are placed in a queue for
> processing later.

Messages are placed in queue if they cannot be sent. I.E., the
recieving end is down, wrong email address, etc, etc. Usually, it
stays in queue for 7 days and then discarded.

> When loads get too high, messages can be/are/have been rejected.

This is not true. If you have an ISP that tells you that they are
rejecting email or deleting email because of their "load", change ISP
immediately.

> queue, those messages are processed FIFO (for you non-techies, "that's first
> in first out").

Ahh, okay, now I see what you mean in the first line. Just because
person A from America sends email at the same exact time (GMT time) as
a person in New Zealand, does *NOT* mean that person in America will
be "first" in line if they send messages to that email server.

--
Eric