Re: Speaking of Julia

From: Shannon Stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 02/23/03-12:22:07 PM Z

>Wasn't she very eccentric and controversial, among other things - I
>seem to recall her posting to this list more than twice and even
>declaring her own death and many other rantings. I believe she gave
>a small workshop of some sort at one of the B&S conferences - Dick
>do you still have the pictures?
>
>Or am I confusing things here - it wouldn't be the first time.

If Bostick and Sullivan has been around since about 1856, yes, she
could have given a small workshop there. What about it, Dick? And
if she is posting to this list...well, so could Daguerre and Herschel
and Niepce, which would be wonderful. (Herschel, if you're out
there: what causes fogging on cyanotypes?) And, she would be
honor-bound, I would think, to declare herself dead since she is, in
fact, dead.

Seriously: she was a 19th century photographer, an Eminent Victorian
who photographed a lot of other Eminent Victorians, as well as
semi-naked children dressed as characters in 19th century novels and
the like. Some of these photographs are extremely sentimental and
strike us as a bit silly nowadays, but some are masterpieces, and
you have to admire the way she handled wet collodion. If only she
COULD visit the APIS conference! Maybe we could channel her.

--shannon