Cyanotype/Gum Printing - Big Sky

From: Dave Rose (cactuscowboy@attbi.com)
Date: 02/25/03-08:47:30 AM Z

Funny you should mention "big sky". I've made a number of alt-photo prints
with the sky as the primary subject. My very first cyanotype was a 4x5
contact print of the moon rising above spruce trees and cliffs in Colorado.
I have a large cyanotype/gum print of a stormy sky looming above the Great
Swamp in New Jersey. Originally shot in b&w, a straight silver print failed
to fully convey the drama and somber mood of the scene. Printed with red
and earth tones over cyanotype, the scene comes alive with a dark and
foreboding energy. I also have a series of 'cotton ball clouds' printed in
gum, with prints ranging from believable color to wild and vivid false
colors. How about a full color Arizona sunset from a b&w negative? To do
this I printed a weak cyanotype exposure, a moderate gum exposure in red,
and a strong gum exposure in yellow. The results: a smooth transition of
intense color from black, purple, red, orange, to bright yellow.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming