Re: gum printing

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/26/03-01:08:24 AM Z

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Lisa Reddig wrote:

> Oh and one Question of my own: Does sizing do anything other than keep the
> paper from expanding and contracting during the multiple printings, so you
> can keep the negative registered properly? Or does it do something else?

I think maybe the power of suggestion of the word "size" is misleading. I
doubt the size prevents expanding and contracting -- which goes on willy
nilly anyway. We try to minimise that by a good preshrink, often two
preshrinks -- and then re-exposing at the same point. That is, let the
print dry about the same length of time. A very wet print will shrink
microscopically (but still enough to throw register off on a large print)
MORE, after it's seemingly quite dry. So if you're having trouble with
re-register, watch that.

AFAIK, the size is only to assist release of pigment. Or prevent pigment
stain. In fact some printers coat the back of the print with shellac or
liquitex varnish to prevent stretch & shrink. I've tried it to little
avail. Shellac, gelatin, varnish, etc. on paper, all shrink & expand
themselves.

J.