King Gum

From: Michael Healy (mjhealy@kcnet.com)
Date: 02/26/03-10:31:07 AM Z

Geez, Dave. A monarch. Gum is a MONARCH. What are you smoking up there this
winter?

I have been proud to say this to myself, and to say it repeatedly and
steadfastly: Self, I says, I categorically am not one of you gummy bears. I
have no interest in gumming unless and until I should lose all of my teeth.
I don't know who this guy is whose memory not runneth over, but it certainly
hasn't been me. Gum is something you step in on the sidewalk, and drag home
in stringy, sticky clumps.

But I've got to hand it to you, Dave. This king thing takes the cake. Okay
already, you WIN. Some dead guy says gum is king, and you swear by it
yourself for 66 years, so okay, already. I hereby break with the opposition
camp. I come over there (not a here yet, still a there), and I don the funny
little costume, and I will play gummy bear. You just wait, though. With my
luck, I will turn into a worse zealot than the rest of you combined: a
king-loving American. What my Irish ancestors would say to that, I don't
dare think. Probably best not to go there.

Mike Healy