Re: Gum aside

From: Dave Rose (cactuscowboy@attbi.com)
Date: 02/26/03-10:22:05 PM Z

Dear Michael,

No offense taken, and I completely understand the intent of your message.

I began printing gum after becoming frustrated with Cibachrome printing in
the mid-late 1980's. With Cibachrome, the cyan highlight/red shadow problem
was seemingly unavoidable and unsolvable. Even after making contrast and
highlight masks (using color filters for correction), Cibachrome was just a
real pain in the ass to print. Expensive papers/chemistry, limited
control.....what a waste of time.

I started experimenting in gum, hoping to create exciting color prints. I
was not disappointed with my initial results.

Much of the writing on gum printing (including Jordan, whom I recently
quoted on this list) suggests that it's a process unable to hold fine
detail. In fact, gum can record fine detail. Shortly after I began gum
printing, I visited a gallery in Manhattan. The few gum prints I saw were
awful - soft, muddy, and dull. Then I visited the Art Museum at Princeton
University to see a show entitled "The Art of Pictorial Photography
1890-1925". I was absolutely amazed at the large and beautiful gum prints
on exhibit, e.g. Hugo Henneberg's "On the Amper" 1900. IMO, it's not a
minor process.

Please make no apologies for your "theatrical wording". I think it's funny.

Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming