Re: gum printing, technical and looong

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 02/28/03-10:00:38 PM Z

Judy,

<<Judy said: In fact frankly, I think this discussion has got too many
unsupported

assumptions to be meaningful -- it's all theory -- thinly spun theory.

Pleasant enough -- no baffling "findings" or lack of... but ....'nough

said. >>

Is it incorrect theory or otherwise thinly spun that diluting the mix too
much with water allows for more staining by not allowing the pigment to
remain suspended/coated with gum? Perhaps like the micro-encapsulation of
Epson pigment inks? It would seem then that adding dichromate powder without
the water would avoid this—while at the same time having enough water in the
mix to make the gunk spreadable.

<<Judy said: I have said before and will say and say again, I find the idea
of mixing

powdered dichromate for each print about like, no, WORSE than mixing

aqua regia. It's powder, it sprinkles, it flips tiny pellets into the air.

It's KNOWN to be toxic, allergenic, sprinkly, poisonous, mean.>>

I'm aware of how nasty dichromate powders are. They make a really pretty
orange cloud in the air when you pour them. I think the saturated solution
works fine and is probably safer and very easy. However, I will try Sam's
method, but to be on the safe side I have ordered a HAZMAT suit from Bostick
& Sullivan. But seriously folks, there are ways to do the powder thing
without danger. I might even check out my gun reloading equipment and modify
it into GUM reloading equipment. Besides, Judy, I enjoy hearing you say it
again ;)

<<Judy said: Not to mention that to be able to spread a gum emulsion you NEED
it to

have a goodly amount of WATER. If it's all or mostly gum, it's just

sticky, tacky, and dries right way, you never can get a smooth coat.>>

That makes sense. My understanding of the earlier discussion though was that
adding too much dichromate solution was also diluting the mix too much
because of the additional water being added—thus possibly leading to more
staining.

Mark Nelson