Re: Thomas Kinkade, Beyond the GArden GAte

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/06/03-07:39:36 PM Z

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, John Harmon wrote:
> Could you enlighten me on what is An Outsider Art show?
>
> Cordially,
> John Harmon
> www.JohnHarmon.com>

Actually the only discernible art world craze in time of unprecedented
pluralism -- sometimes called self-taught, also other terms,in past
probably called folk artists, anyway now meaning someone doing their inner
vision unconnected to isms of the art world. There are many books,
galleries that specialize, and some that jump on the bandwagon... quality
ranges from sublime to some creep doing something tediously contrived,
claiming to be an "outsider" because no gallery would have him.

Grandma Moses, Reverend Finster, and the one who did the vivian Girls --
what was his name -- Henry (?) Darger -- come to mind, Possibly the best
and one of my all time favorite artists is Bill Traylor. I'm blanking on
the names of a couple of other former slaves, or very humble citizens who
in old age suddenly picked up a cardboard and entered realm of the
sublime. If you don't know Darger, try google or library, you'll be glad
you did.

and look for the guy who embroidered enchanting scenes size of a silver
dollar from threads drawn from socks -- in prison. I never can remember
his name but the work is extraordinary.

Judy