Re: Thomas Kinkade, Beyond the GArden GAte

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/06/03-10:03:02 PM Z

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Don Bryant wrote:
Cactus wrote:

> > I've thoroughly investigated Henry Barger, Nellie Mae Rowe, and Thomas
> > Kincaid, thanks to Google.com.
> >
> > At this point, I'm totally convinced that it's not "talent" but a clever
> > knack for marketing that really counts.

Don wrote

> How do you mean "cleaver knack for marketing" Dave?
>
> Don Bryant>

Judy wrote:

A hatchet job perhaps..?

I don't know who this Barger is. The guy was DARGER... and his works are
among the most original, piquant, and provocative in 20th century art. As
for clever marketing... The guy was a recluse, raised in a home for the
retarded, worked as a cleaning man, lived and died alone in a rented room,
where after his death his landlord, cleaning out the heaps of debris,
recognized and saved the work.

This clever marketer devoted a great deal of his life to preserving and
showcasing that art, AFAIK he made nothing on it, and in fact sacrificed
his own career... He was one of the photographers from the group in
Chicago around Harry Callahan, Aaron Siskind, et al, whose name I forget,
tho he's been featured in Aperture, et al... (If you GOOGLE Darger it
should be there... Jonathan something, Lerner?)

However, if Cactus came away from Google thinking he'd done a "thorough
investigation" of Barger, et al... there's another reason I don't do
Google. (Understatment.)

Get a library.

Judy