Re: Dektol developer for modern tintype?

From: Alan Greene (hobbyhorsedada@hotmail.com)
Date: 01/06/03-09:48:47 PM Z

Carmen,

I have never made a tintype--modern, "authentic", or otherwise; but if you
are looking to make your own Dektol stock solution from scratch, Kodak D-72
is generally conceded to be a close approximation. Anchell, 1994, gives the
following formula for D-72, which can be treated as though it were a stock
solution of Dektol:

Water (125F/52C) 750ml
Metol (a.k.a. Elon, génol, etc.) 3g
Sodium sulfite, anhydrous 45g
Hydroquinone 12g
Sodium carbonate, monohydrated 80g
Potassium bromide 2g
Cold water to make one liter

Personally, I always find it preferable to make a developer from scratch.

Alan Greene