Re: Disfarmer, Re: outsider art

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/07/03-05:23:13 PM Z

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Shannon Stoney wrote:

> The biography part of the site was still under construction. Can you tell a
> little bit about what you know about Disfarmer? Was he shooting large
> format?

Disfarmer was using standard studio equipment which you/we would probably
now call large format, but that's only in retrospect. However, the notion
of it being a fake, tho I never heard it at the time, is.....

The tribute mediocrity pays genius is --

1. it's a fake
2. it's marketing.

I believe there were two editions of the book, which gathered accolades
(no matter what AD Coleman said) then went out of print. But this is
another story of an archive (glass plates as I recall) that was rescued
after death -- for love, not "marketing."

The idea of it being turned into a website however is .... who is doing
that? Why? Does all history, art, experience now devolve to a web site?
Do we know our own lives before we've seen them on the website? True, the
web is free...

J.