what is art yet again?...tired (was: outsider art)

From: Christopher Lovenguth (zantzant@hotmail.com)
Date: 01/08/03-12:41:06 PM Z

I find this so interesting that every other month people here seemed quite
confused as to what is art. Why do I only ever see photographers so
preoccupied with this? It is almost like some people here are constantly
searching for ammunition to prove a point of how messed up the art world
that won't accept them is. Sometimes it reminds me of the kid on the block
who wasn’t allowed in the clubhouse. Most artist I know who are not
photographers seem concerned and obsessed with making, NOT if their work is
"legit". This struggle with legitimacy in personal work must be the reason
people on this list keep bringing up this "what is art" hidden within
different topics. The only other thing I could think of for this constant
onslaught would be jealousy of other mediums and/or art concepts that are
more "acceptable" to the art world then their personal work.

With what Jack Brubaker had to say about photography as being "accessible
form of self expression" this is exactly what art is. Art is not about
skills learned or if you can get a perfect platinum print. Art is
self-expression that a viewer can identify with in whatever form. I would
find a student who did what Jack describe as way more advance in their art
abilities then some one who makes a compositionally perfect image and print
that is drab or run of the mill.

-Chris