Re: Disfarmer, Re: outsider art

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/09/03-01:15:21 AM Z

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Carl Weese wrote:

> The story (which quickly came under question) was that he was a recluse, who
> made these pictures by having an assistant bring the people into a sudio
> room. She (the assistant as I recall the story) told them to "stand *there*"
> and they did. He manipulated a camera built into the wall (of course it
was... etc. etc.

Carl, I followed the saga fairly carefully at the time, but this is the
first I heard of that one. Sounds like someone's very peculiar fantasy.

> Judy, was it A.D. who brought up the fakery issue? I don't remember where
> that came from, but I'm quite positive that a significant fuss came about

AFAIK, Alan simply had a snide remark to make about the editing and
reissuing of the book. As I quoted in another context in P-F #5... In
Depth of Field, A.D. accused Julia Scully and colleagues on the Disfarmer
book of wishing "to own whatever work [they] can....to define and
aggrandize it with no contradiction from either the maker or the work
itself."

I find that an especially cheap shot because that's all he says. Sort of
a free shot... Did he have something specific in mind? Quien sabe? He
didn't say it here. But he implies that he found the photographs less than
wonderful.

Meanwhile, for what it's worth, farmer in German is "bauer." No "Meyer" in
the German dictionary.

J.