A few questions about sizing and buffering...

From: John Glen (microcrystals2002@yahoo.com)
Date: 01/10/03-07:59:58 AM Z

Hi All!

A few questions about sizing and buffering.

I have about a half Kg. of Kodak Balanced Alkali and I
was wondering if it can be used to increase the pH of
my BFK Rives paper I have... it is not quite as
alkaline as I prefer....

1. What is Kodak Balanced Alkali mainly used for?

2. there is a number written after the ingredient
(7775-19-1) is this the CAS # for sodium metaborate?

3. the label says air and moisture will reduce it's
activity... how can I test to confirm that it is still
"Fully" active...???

4. If Kodak Balanced Alkali can be used to buffer or
increase pH, How would this be done? (What
concentration & time?)

5. How else could this be done? (What chemicals,
concentrations & times?)

Thanks,

John