Re: What is "Outsider Art"?

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/11/03-11:04:03 AM Z

Dave wrote:

> Looking at a handful of crayon masterpieces made by my young nephews, it
> strikes me that art created by children might qualify as "outsider art".
> Yes? No? Any thoughts on the subject?

I would say yes. They are mostly untrained when they are very little, and
museums and galleries usually don't collect them. They don't get reviewed in
Art Forum or The New York Times. But some of their stuff is brilliant. I
started an art collection of children's work some years ago but haven't
gotten very far with it.

My nephews excel at watercolor. In that medium, they work in a sort of
abstract expressionist style.

 One of them got a camera when he was four, but we couldn't convince him
that it wasn't a good idea to keep opening the back of the camera to check
on the progress of his pictures. I think inexpensive digital cameras may be
the perfect thing for child photographers. They can get instant feedback,
and you can't open the camera except to put batteries in it. They should
also be naturals at manipulating images in photoshop, since they have been
playing computer games since they were in diapers. They could make digital
negatives and cyanotypes from those without too much trouble.

The fact that little kids are about three feet high adds interest to their
photographs. They see things from a different angle than we do.

--shannon