Re: Iodine

From: REDROCKET (redrocket@cox.net)
Date: 01/14/03-04:11:56 PM Z

on 1/14/03 1:44 PM, Philippe Monnoyer at philippe.monnoyer@skynet.be wrote:

Hello,

It is always very funny to hear such things. I wonder why iodine would be
considered as being a dangerous chemical. Don't mix it with ammonia though,
it would make a black precipitate, nitrogen iodide. That black precipitate
is an explosive compound sensitive to warmth, wind, friction, shock,
electricity, everything. It's very sensitive when dry. Chemistry students
used to prepare it as an experiment.
But paper itself is dangerous, because you can make nitrocellulose out of it
etc etc ...

One warning, DEA looks at people purchasing Iodine crystals since it is used
in METH production. Particularly here in California. I read that a place
that supplies items for horses sells Iodine crystals which are used in
treatment for Hoof problems. Most likely would be very cheap.

Iodine crystals, fumes actually are used by special investigations to make
latent prints visible. This may be a modern off shoot of the Dag.

Mac