Re: Iodine

From: Christopher Lovenguth (zantzant@hotmail.com)
Date: 01/14/03-05:37:10 PM Z

"Iodine crystals, fumes actually are used by special
investigations to make latent prints visible. This may
be a modern off shoot of the Dag." Mac

You are correct. I was reading how they use iodine
crystals to fume the area in question. Then they place
a small thin strip of silver tape over what they
fumed. I think where the oils are the iodine cling to
(or vice versa) and then react with the silver tape.
It is a rudimentary daguerreotype. I saw somewhere
where you can buy these kits on the internet. It even
comes with a "fuming gun" where you put the crystals
in. -Chris