RE: Vandyke brownprints - silvery deposit

From: Breukel, C. (HKG) (C.Breukel@lumc.nl)
Date: 01/16/03-05:34:48 AM Z

Neil,

Some suggestions (FWIW I have processed VDB with the same chemistry and
double coating, I do not have the problems you describe, but..)

I use a acidified first wash for 5 minutes (a samll spoon of citric acid in
a tray of water)

I would strongly suggest to do a gold toning (Pt or Pd) step, before fixing,
do rinse after tone and before fix. The toning increases permanence
considerably, cahnges the colour (favourably IMHO), and bleaching in the fix
should (hardly) not occur.

Do a 2 bath fixing step 5% hypo, about 2 min. per bath(fix in the first
bath, discard this one, than to the second bath, which becomes first bath
after that and pour fresh fixer in the second tray)

See also: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Vandyke/vandyke.html

Best,

Cor