Re: A list administration suggestion

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 01/16/03-02:08:30 AM Z

Marco Milazzo wrote:

> Can this list include some simple identifying tag like [alt-photo] in either
> the "From" or "Subject" lines? I think it would help organize things for
> all of us.

Don't speak for me; I like it just the way it is, and hope there's no
way or will to change it. Like many busy listmembers, I don't read
everything that comes across the list but only the subjects that I think
I can contribute something to and the discussions that I find
particularly interesting. So I want to be able to delete at a glance
posts about kallitype or daguerrotype or other processes I don't do, and
discussions that don't interest me, like about Thomas Kinkade and
micturition. I also want to be able to choose what to read according to
who sent it. There are a few people whose posts I always read, even if
it's on a subject I wouldn't otherwise look at, because they always seem
to have something useful or interesting or even profound to say (though
they unfortunately don't post frequently). So I want both the subject
and the sender clearly visible at a glance.

I belong to two lists that do include a tag that identifies the list in
the heading; on one of them the tag totally obscure the subject line; in
the other the tag totally obscures the sender line, as I look at the
list of new mail in my inbox. For one of the lists it's okay because the
entire membership of that list is me and my seven siblings and I read
everything that comes across that list, but I find that I delete
unopened most of the posts for the other one rather than taking the time
to open each one to see what it is. My 2cents.
Katharine Thayer