Re: Vandyke brownprints - silvery deposit

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/16/03-07:32:27 PM Z

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Neil Miller wrote:

> I make three solutions up, each with 35ml of distilled water. (A) has
> 10g of green ferric ammonium citrate, (B) has 1.5g tartaric acid and (C)
> has 4g silver nitrate. All are well stirred until dissolved. (A) is
> added to (B) and well stirred then (C) is added drop by drop while
> stirring. The solution is left to age, filtered, then applied with a
> hake brush or a foam applicator. The paper is left to dry in a warm,
> dark room overnight or is force-dried with a fan heater. All work takes

Neil, Some papers are more susceptible than others to what we've generally
called "plating out" -- we used to think it was Strathmore this or the
other that. But I have NEVER seen it when there was no heat drying.

And any forced heat drying is likely to bring it on.

Once we realized that heat drying was flattening the print range and
stopped, presto -- no more plating out.

Judy