Re: cyano and Future floor polish

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 01/19/03-09:01:23 PM Z

I wonder if soaking the print in a mild acid would help?

When I was playing around toning cyanotypes I notices that after I
bleached a cyanotype in an alkali (sodium carbonate) I was able to restore
it by soaking it in vinegar.

I recovered a cyanotype T-shirt that had been bleached by washing it
(normal wash seems to be too alkali) by soaking it in vinegar.

This assumed that the same chemical changes occur when its faded and
bleacher, not likely the same though.

Its warm and sunny here only -10 C :)

Gord

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 SATGRE@att.net wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Have you tried putting the print in a dark closet for a few days. I seem to
> remember reading someplace that if a cyanotype starts to fade you can put it in
> a dark space for a few days (?) and the color returns.
>
> Stuart
> > Judy et al,
> > I left the cyano with Future on it out in the Montana sun for a couple
> > days. I covered half of it up, and had both the Future part and the
> > non-Future coated part exposed to the sun. The more navy color of the cyano
> > that the Future produced has remained so--it did not revert to the
> > turquoisish shade either covered or sun exposed. But on both cyanos there
> > is a marked difference in density (in other words, fading) that occurred
> > from the sun exposure. Do cyanos normally fade with strong sun? I thought
> > they were quite archival.
> > P.S. Still haven't received my MSDS from Johnson and Johnson even tho
> > they said they'd fax it that night.
> > Chris

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2