RE: Vandyke brownprints - silvery deposit

From: Neil Miller (neil@miller.gioserve.com)
Date: 01/20/03-04:05:18 AM Z

Thanks to everyone who has posted a response - much appreciated, thankyou!

Richard - I am about to test some paper dried as you suggested. You are right about overexposure causing this effect - I made a series of test strips and gave them varying degress od exposure - all the overexposed ones plated out.

Dina - haven't got round to getting a glass rod yet, but will definitely give it a go, thanks!

Judy - test with non-heat dried paper about to proceed, have also just coated two more new (to me) papers. Will soon have enough test strips to paper the walls with!

One thing that continues to plague me is mixing the solutions without forming a precipitate. I had three attempts over the weekend. All three had this in common - each part (a, b and c) mixed with distilled water. 'A' added to 'B' and mixed thoroughly. 'C' added to this mixture drop-by-drop. The first attempt was at room temp, not very warm at this time of year. As in the other two attempts, I dropped the 'C' solution through a syringe drop by painful drop. A bright green milky solution formed, the precipitate gradually settling a little. 2nd attempt - all solutions heated to 30 degrees centigrade - still a precipitate formed, but much less this time. 3rd attempt - all solutions at 55 degrees, mixing vessel kept in water bath to maintain temp. No precipitate at all, but next morning a very slight precipitate had settled at the bottom of the brown glass bottle. This is the solution I have used to coat the next batch of test paper. Do you think that the other solutions will be OK if I filter them?

Many thanks once again,
Neil.

---