Re: Primitive Photography

From: Michael Healy (mjhealy@kcnet.com)
Date: 01/20/03-10:58:31 PM Z

Hi, Alan. Thanks for your note, and for the clarification. Fortunately, this
matter of lens angles and focal length is a subsidiary one in the overall
context.

I have been converting your 10x12" design to the layout for a 7x17" camera.
So over the past few weeks I've had to pour over every last detail of your
blueprint. I have to tell you something -- you have a very sound design, and
a very clear book!

I have to admit to a bias, too, against 3D design: my brain does not do
this. Years ago I sailed confidently out of algebra, and then just hit a
brick wall over geometry. So I have done a lot of squirming over your
blueprint. To make matters worse, I built a Bender 4x5 in the early 1990s.
Thus armed, I figured that I was about to make myself descend into an
endurance test over this camera I want to make.

I was completely wrong. Your blueprint works like a charm. It's been
perfectly accurate from start to finish. Better than that, your instructions
are consistently lucid and sensible, even to somebody who shudders over line
drawings. No matter how I've pushed it, it keeps making sense. I am very
happy that I came across it!

Mike Healy