Re: big apple

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/23/03-01:51:26 AM Z

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> Suggest also John Dugdale's beautiful albuman prints at John Stevenson
> Gallery, 338 W. 23rd St., through March 15. Arthur

That's the only show I've seen in months (joined at the hip to G4 as I've
been this year), and I'd say it's special, a must see.

Other than that, to repeat myself... I wouldn't come to NYC to see the old
standby's like Bruce Davidson, or any well published and familiar
photographer... you get that just as well from a book... and can look at a
book sitting down. What I contemplated most longingly, though, was the ad
for the Outsider Art show on this (and only this) coming weekend at the
Puck Building, corner of Houston and Lafayette Street. ($15 admission,
however.)

Then afterwards, continue east a couple of blocks and have a latte or
pastry or drink or whatever in some of the trendy artists type cafe's
around Mulberry Street... or to one of the vietnamese restaurants just a
bit south of there... can't remember the name of one my friend liked so
much, but.... well that's edge of China town, all restaurants are good.

Another favorite event (if it isn't so cold you freeze solid) now is walk
to Chinatown along Canal street and admire the tchochkes for sale, the
counterfeit gucci bags & Donna Karan perfume, and the chinese "artists"
making custom designs with broad felt marker -- your name to order with
flowers on a banner. though maybe not in this weather -- they sit out all
day. Last time I was there (right across from Pearl paint) was a fellow
selling cigarette lighters in the shape of red dragon/and penis, somehow
combined. The flame came out... just where you'd expect. The perfect gift
for the folks back home. $6

Oh well, maybe not. There's also something at the Frick gave me a pang,
but I can't remember what.

I checked the Times for the mention of the Frick show, didn't find it, but
here's today's blurb about the Outsider Art show...

=================================

Starting in the 1940s Jean Dubuffet visited asylums in Switzerland &
collected art by the patients he encountered. He called it art brut, raw
art. In the 1970s the term outsider art was coined in reference to this
collection, and today the term embraces the art of the self-taught, the
visionary, the intuitive. From tomorrow thru Sunday, the 11th Annual
Outsider Art fair will draw thousands of these works to the Puck Bldg, at
Houston & Lafayette Sts in Soho... (they're wrong -- Soho doesn't go east
of Broadway... but what do you expect from journalists ?) A preview
benefit for the American Folk Art Museum was held Wed. PM.

Plus the last 8 performances of the Vagina Monologs with Eve Ensler at the
Westside theatre...

I got an announcement of something intriguing at the Leica Gallery
(Broadway, just North of Bleecker) but I threw it out so I wouldn't be
tempted... Any gallery you go into should have a Gallery Guide,though,
free if they're trying to be nice, and Photography in NY has website..

Enjoy !!!

Judy