Re: Reducing negative density

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 01/29/03-04:29:32 PM Z

Judy,

If I have to do this for a negative for gum prints, I just use a belt sander.

Mark Nelson
(just kidding)
In a message dated 1/29/03 4:53:26 PM, jseigel@panix.com writes:

<<

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Neil Miller wrote:
> The reason I am trying to this? To subtly retouch/remove small
> blemishes/cliche verre.

Neil, I know the Pictorialists used to "etch" negatives, in fact it was a
standard part of the repertoire -- very sharp knife, neg on slanted
glass, a steady hand, etc.

But I'm pretty sure today's negatives have tougher substrate,thinner
emulsion & are hardened more... that is, it would take years of
apprenticeship, maybe, & even then what you propose sounds tricky.

But there are local spot reducers... if your formula book doesn't have it,
i'll look for mine. -- It's 2 parts, based on iodine and something else.
Use magnifier if needed and then a drop of whatever, blot, a drop of the
other fix & wash -- much more controllable I found. Then you smooth the
edges with spot tone... Anyway, worked great on prints. >>