Re: self masking and POP

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/31/03-01:01:03 AM Z

Christina,

If the books are all over the map as you say they are (actually as
interesting as any particular judgement -- because all but one of them has
got to be wrong.... and do you suppose that's the ONLY thing they're wrong
about???)... But if the books are wrong, how are you going to believe
anything anyone tells you on the LIST !!!??????

IMO the only hope (and right up your alley !!!) is test the little bast...
er excuse me, the darlings.

Hmmm, how to do that???? How about if you try to compare with SG contact
print of the same negative... because SG isn't self-masking, because
there's no printing out. Some of those processes print out more than
others... cyanotype prints out a fair amount.

Don't you think tone building up on the paper in any color figures to hold
back *some* light? Have you got that little set of colored theatrical gels
we used to send away for? Maybe you could test with one of those matching
the color of the cyano printout...

And see if it holds back actinic.. Plus I think not all the light exposing
any of these emulsions is actinified.......Plus if there is no way to
test, then every one of those books is guessing, and more, more, that you
didn't come across yet. Or copying from each other... Could you believe
that? Aren't you shocked, SHOCKED !? Meanwhile, aren't there some
platinums that are develop out not print out... is that Ware's? How would
a develop-out process be self masking?

Christina, are you sure you want to know this ???

Judy