Re: Bite Your Tounge etc. and straight line learning curve

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/04/03-11:35:53 PM Z

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Peter Marshall wrote:
> .... The advantage of using raw format is that
> you can post-process the raw data, and adjust the characteristic curve,
> the exposure, the colour temperature, the sharpness, digital noise etc
> using the full data set rather than the pre-digested version you get in a
> tiff.

That's awesome.. Imagine if we could use raw format for our lives...
readjust & reinterpret (including our tiffs) as desired...

But I gather not every digital camera will do this ???

> A 6Mp camera will usually give a 9Mp raw file, which converts to 36Mb
> 16bit and then 18Mb 8bit file. I archive the raw files from most exposures
> and those 18Mb output files from the selected images.

Aren't those huge files ?.. What do you archive them on/in?

> Professional digital cameras have largish sensors with larger cells than
> consumer ones. They also need to have a reasonable number of pixels, and
> do something when you turn on and press the shutter, not 5 seconds later.
> I think all those that qualify are interchangeable lens SLRs. I'd include
> cameras such as the Nikon D100 which Nikon doesn't regard as a
> professional model because you can't bang in nails with it, or at least
> not when its raining.

I'm not sure whether the digital camera is overall so much lighter than
the analog that the difference in weight (if any) for the interchangeable
lenses is immaterial.

For me, "medium format" is overkill, but I would like regular 35 mm if
possible..

This discussion is very helpful, even if my questions don't show it.

Thank you...

Judy