Re: lemon juice and gum printing, other questions

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/05/03-06:17:01 AM Z

Some last thoughts (I hope) on dichromates, brought on by Sandy's
comments below, which BTW I agree with:

I use ammonium dichromate, but I wouldn't ever say that ammonium
dichromate is the "best" or the one everyone should use. It suits my
needs and my practice and equipment well; it prints fast with no
dichromate stain issues, and gives me the tonal scale and amount of
contrast that I want in my prints. For my work, potassium doesn't give
me anything to compensate for the slower speed; I prefer the way
ammonium dichromate prints, and have no reason to change. I have no
quarrel, however, with anyone who chooses to use potassium dichromate.
My only quarrel is with folks who make absolutist statements about one
dichromate or the other, because there simply isn't any evidence
supporting the superiority of either for gum printing; the choice is
based on what works best for your own equipment and materials, your own
environmental sensitivity (some people choose potassium simply because
there are less hexavalent chromium ions to dispose of per print) your
own aesthetic preferences. Each to his own, is what I always say.
kt