Re: lemon juice and gum printing, other questions

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/06/03-02:48:24 AM Z

Sandy King wrote:

> The point here is that my reference was carbon printing, not gum,
> though I believe many of the same principles apply, at least in so
> far as hardening and tanning of the colloid is concerned.

Slight quibble:

While the processes obviously differ, I agree that the hardening of the
colloid probably operates under the same general principles in both
processes ; however I would not use the term "tanning" to refer to the
hardening process, since it's my considered opinion that the old
"tanning" theory is not the right explanation for the hardening process.
Rather than "tanning" of the colloid, I would use the term
"crosslinking" of the colloid, which I think is a better term to
describe what actually happens.
kt