Re: Another Try at Cyano Question

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/10/03-11:26:48 AM Z

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Henry Rattle wrote:

> I recently finished up some A and B solutions that were mixed ten years ago
> (1st April 1993) and they worked just fine. They had been kept in a dark
> cupboard and used from time to time in between.

Henry, you've done me one better -- or actually double. I was going to
say I'd used A & B that was 5 years old and it was fine -- except about
1/3 slower. So I'd recommend a 21-step test for speed at the outset.
That of course is assuming you mixed with distilled. If you mixed with
tapwater, you could have new life forms by now.

The Post-Factory issue on cyano was #5, so the comment on keeping
qualities was probably there -- I'd guess in the article on "Managing the
Blues." Mine BTW was kept at room temperature, in brown bottles with
plastic caps... tho actually not plastic caps, they're 8 oz dropper
bottles with plastic & rubber bulb caps, which seem to keep better than
you'd think, given that they may not be totally airtight. With some
solutions the rubber bulbs shrivel up, but, strangely I discovered that
soaked in water they often revive.

Those 8 oz bottle droppers, bought from Ginsberg Scientific by the dozen
-- or maybe it was by the gross -- are hard to get alone. (I used to order
them for school.) The convenience of dropper bottles in that size cannot
be overstated, so the droppers are precious....

Judy