Re: GUM TESTING/CLEARING

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/16/03-04:29:49 AM Z

Hi Bill,
My guess is that the gum in these particular images may not have been
really hardened in the first place, possibly due to underexposure, and
it dissolved when re-wetted. A properly hardened gum image should not
dissolve when put back in water, with or without clearing compound in
it.

According to some experts, potassium metabisulfite is the gentlest of
the potential clearing solutions available, and sodium bisulfite is the
harshest. I can't comment on that assertion because I have needed to
clear very few of the hundreds of gum prints I've made over the years,
and the only clearing solution I've ever used is sodium bisulfite. But
I'm willing to take others' word in this case, and I've never seen
sodium bisulfite lift an image off the paper, so it stands to reason
that potassium metabisulfite would be even less likely to do so. That's
a longwinded way of saying I don't think it's the potassium
metabisulfite that's the problem, as long as it's properly mixed, and
you've made sure of that.

That's no help for the images that are lost, I'm sorry.

Katharine