Re: GUM TESTING/CLEARING

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/16/03-06:09:26 AM Z

The Painted Horse wrote:

> Thanks Katharine.
> I did notice that the images were a tad weaker in appearance to the one
> that cleared without a problem. All the images were exposed on the same
> day with the same exposure time. Maybe I didn't wash them long enough?

If the problem is underexposure, more washing won't help. One could
salvage an underexposed image, I suppose, by grabbing it out of the
water quick and drying it quick and never letting it get wet again, but
that raises questions, I think, about the potential longevity of the
print, especially if it has to live in a humid climate. Gum that hasn't
been properly hardened will always be soluble in water, which doesn't
seem like a good thing to me.

I've astonished people at times by running out into a deluge holding an
unprotected gum print; they say "Katharine, it will get wet!" I say,
"Not to worry, water can't possibly hurt it!" and this is certainly what
I believe and have found to be true of a properly made gum print, once
it's been dried.
kt