Re: GUM TESTING

From: Dave Rose (cactuscowboy@bresnan.net)
Date: 07/16/03-09:07:23 PM Z

Greetings from Big Wonderful Wyoming,

I print gum with both ammonium and potassium dichromate. I use both as
saturated solutions. Why bother diluting AD down to the same approximate
stength as PD? That's the same as bolting a 1 bbl carburetor onto your
Mustang's V8 so that its performance is equal to a Pinto. A Mustang no
faster than a Pinto? Yes, it's a ridiculous argument.

AD is faster and will produce lower contrast images. AD will leave more of
a dichromate stain. PD is better suited for printing higher contrast and
'cleaner' images. AD vs. PD arguments are pointless. They each have their
own particular strengths and weaknesses.

Many of my gum prints are made with 3-8 exposures. I often use both AD and
PD - not combined but in seperate and subsequent exposures. AD is great for
bringing out subtle highlight tones while using a weak concentration of
pigment. A heavy dose of pigment with PD will add punch and contrast to the
shadows.

As for prints washing out or disappearing during clearing, I've never had
that problem. My guess is that a fragile, wet, and freshly developed image
might be susceptible to this damage. The only prints I've ever subjected to
a clearing bath have been completely air-dried and 'cured'.

Best regards,
Dave Rose