Re: Liquid light questions

kateb@paradise.net.nz
Date: 07/22/03-03:58:55 PM Z

Quoting Nigel Miller <nm1@bolton.ac.uk>:

> Hi
>
> One of the students where I work (Bolton Institute) has recently been
> experiencing a (to me at least) strange phenomenon when using liquid
> light.
>
> Hi Nigel, I have been using tetenal "work", a similar product, and I have
found the following:

Presizing the paper with Ilford Film Hardener (an acid hardener)added to the
gelatine has never given me any problems on paper, however on glass I have to
use Chrome Alum. I add 20ml hardener to 1 litre gelatine solution at 30ml
gelatine/litre. On glass, the emulsion lifts right off in the fix if I use the
film hardener. I see that the "Liquid Light" instructions suggest that instead
of stop bath, you use plain water with a little film hardener added. This
worked well for me on paper, but again on glass the emulsion lifted.....maybe
the emulsion answer to polaroid lifts?????

I found that when sepia toning these prints on paper I got strange purple blobs
in some parts of the print at the normal dilutions for sepia. Selenium toning
however gave great results.

I only ever use two thin coats of undiluted emulsion for prints - this gives me
fine blacks, especially when selenium toned. the trick for me is to keep the
emulsion in a water bath to keep it flowing well. i apply with a hake brush and
roll over the surface with a roller to even out the coat. 24 hours drying
between coats seems to give good results for me.

Cheers
Kate